Tuesday 4 June 2013

Guest Post Pam F - Nordic Ramblers


Sunday was Queens Birthday weekend and the weather was glorious.
 
Our walk was from Browns Bay, I love walking the Bays but without the big hill climb over to the next bay so the group drove to Rothesay Bay to start the walk.
 
We made it!
Marie, Cindy, David, Mary, Natatia (my friend from Abu Dhabi)  and I were the Nordic Ramblers today.
 
The tide was very low and the water looked very inviting whilst picking our way along the rocky beach, Marie led the way. We were all hoping that we could get around the far point to reach Murrays Bay without taking a swim! A lot of care was needed as the rocks were very slippery. When turning at the very last point a massive rock blocked our way, we did manage to get by it eventually but as I was watching where I was putting my feet, I heard a scream. It was Mary who showed us a new slip and slide trick! She tumbled and ended up in a rock puddle (I hope that you don't have too many bruises Mary) we were so glad that there were no broken bones. The walk along the rocks is not for the faint hearted, I think next time we’ll stick to the Coastal Track.
 
We continued walking along the beaches until we reached Campbells Bay where we turned around. Marie was wearing a Milford Track beanie and as I was being keen to walk the track one day I asked about the Great Walk. Marie told us a story of a fellow tramper who left their tramping boots outside the hut after being told not to do so. It seems that the *Keas like boots! Cutting the story very short, in the end, the tramper had to be air lifted out minus the boots!
 
The beach is a great playground for the dogs on Sundays when it's quiet.
 
Our return walk was by the costal walkway and enjoyed by all. We all happily made our way back for a cuppa at Browns Bay.
 
Note: For your information, the route that Pam and the Nordic Ramblers took is part of the North Shore Coastal Walk.  This walk is accessible during low tide only and care must be taken when passing, not only are the rocks slippery when wet but the cliffs along this route are extremely unstable.
 
If you would like to try some of this walk, take a look at this website: http://www.teararoa.org.nz/auckland/north-shore-coastal-walk/
 
*Kea (Nestor notabilis) is a prevalant parrot of the South Island.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramblers
I arrived a little late at the car park and seeing no cars assumed a no show that morning.
Not to waste a perfect morning for a walk, I decided to walk to Torbay and return via Cliff Rd.
Until next time
yours Nordic
Alan